Monday, June 6, 2011

Lately And Listening

Yesterday was an interesting day. We took Dakin to church where he did great until the first part of the third hour...which is the childrens' meeting singing time. I had Dakin placed near the piano so I could see him, since I am the pianist (I use that term loosely). He started complaining that he needed to be suctioned, so I took him out. I didn't feel anything in his chest and took him back in. He kept fussing and fussing until I asked him if he wanted to go home, to which he said yes. So I take him out to the van and he started throwing a fit, saying he wanted to go back in. We walked him around the church for a bit and then headed home. I had told him he was going to get a surprise, but when he started asking I told him no since he was being so silly in church and of course a massive fit ensued. After about 15 minutes of fit, I caved and told him if he would calm down he could have his surprise. When he did I asked why he didn't want to be in primary. He said, "mad" and I asked why. He said "song loud."


Well now I feel like a big jerk. He wanted to be at church, he just didn't want to be in singing time because he doesn't like the noise.

Of course.

So, he got his surprise, a teal matchbox car. And now we need to figure out what to do with him during singing time.

On a side note, we haven't had a night nurse the last two nights and tonight I got to sing Dakin to sleep. He is so sweet...he fell asleep wth his little teal car in his hand last night. It is such a true and tremendous privilege to be his mommy. He is funny and tenderhearted and sweet and silly. He is talking so much now...telling me little stories about his cars and Big Jet. Last night he was telling me "look out car! Big van coming!"

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Ahhhh... I'm so glad that you at least Dakin was able to tell you what the problem was. He's just so darn cute!

Mandy said...

Oh he is such a cutie pie I would give in on all accounts for sure! YOu are such a good mom!! So glad you were able to understand what he needed!

Bethany said...

I am so glad that Dakin was able to tell you why he was so upset. I bet it does get loud and noisy with a bunch of children singing! How clever he was to use the strategies he knew would get him out of the room! He is just too cute and I love the way he treasured his prize! I bet his stories are priceless!!