Friday, October 2, 2009

Pumpkin!

So around here Halloween is kind of a big deal--always has been in my family. When I was little my mom would dress up like a witch and throw parties for my school classes, green skin and everything. The Halloween fairy would come the night before. It helps that my birthday is two weeks before it--so many many fun Halloween memories.

So when I found out Dakin was due near the end of October, I had a fleeting hope he would be born on Halloween. Then the sonogram showed he would be born on the 24th, and I abandoned my hope, but was happy he would be here near my favorite holiday.

The 24th came and went, with no sign of his impending arrival. My OB would not allow me to go more than a week over my due date, and guess what day that was...you got it! Halloween! So our Pumpkin Boy came along.

So this month will be a lot of Halloween stuff!! And here's the first installment: Dakin's custom-carved pumpkin. It's ceramic, from a wonderful store in Longview called the Mud Hut--one of those places where you paint the pottery, and they fire it. They were kind enough to let me take it home so we could paint it in the germ-freeness of our house, and now we have a wonderful Halloween accessory! I apologize for the last pic--my digital camera broke, and I am relegated to phone pics from my lousy cell and my nurse's iPhone. So here you go:

11 comments:

Josie said...

I love it!!

Sky said...

oh I just love his pumpkin, its a big thing at our house too, I LOVE to carve cool pumpkins (so be watching) and I just love love love the smile on his face when his hand is in the pumpkin (Sky always trys to eat the inside yuck)

Junior said...

I love the pumpkin, so cute with his name.

Monica said...

Love it! Mariah's birthday is the day after halloween, but I didn't realize it until the approach of her 1st birthday since she joined our family mid November.

Kristen said...

That's incredible! I love it!

Whit, Lindsey, Jonas, and Maggie said...

Cute! I love Halloween too! I love to dress up and have all the decorations!

Whit, Lindsey, Jonas, and Maggie said...

Cute! I love Halloween too! I love to dress up and have all the decorations!

Sara said...

Oh, Dakin! I just love your new pumpkin!!

beth said...

How adorable!!!
Aunt Beth

annalee said...

that is AWESOME!

Jodie said...

How cool is that?!?!