Friday, October 23, 2009

Button, Button, Who's Got the Button?

That's the game I feel like I'm playing. I can't find that blinking H1N1 shot ANYWHERE. After the inflexiblility of the pediatrician regarding shots and giving them in the parking lot, I went to the other docs to get a flu shot and Dakin's RSV Synagis shots. I was hoping one of the others would have the H1N1 shot, but to no avail. One of them has the Mist, which contains a live virus for inoculation, and is willing to give it to Dakin, but the neurologist says absolutely not on that.

So I guess it's time to make up with the pediatrician...lol...it will be easy--it was a one-sided war to begin with.

I'll see what I can get them to do for me to help prevent his exposure. What a pain in the butt.

EDITED TO ADD: They got back to me, and shocker, they don't have any. And when they get them they said they can only give them to high-riskers between the ages of 5 and 18, "government mandated."

Hmm. One would think that a immunodeficient ventilated child would qualify as 'high risk', but what do I know?

Going to have to invest in a bubble for Dakin.

7 comments:

Lucy and Ethel said...

Seems like SOMEthing would be at least relatively easy every now and then....

Hope you can make up with the pediatrician without too much commotion!

'Lucy'

Amanda said...

Ugh, that has got to be so frustrating for you, Devon, I'm so sorry you're having to go through that. Good luck and I really hope you find some.

Just a suggestion, you might want to try calling around to the hospitals to see if they have any or know where you could get some.

Jessica said...

That's crazy and cannot be true because Nicholas's peditrician's office called us today and said they recieved a small amount of the injectable vaccine and so we made an appt. for tomorrow. They asked his age (17 months) and scheduled the appointment saying that they were calling all children most at risk to come in and meet with the nurse on a Saturday. I'm not sure exactly where you live and if the rules vary state to state, but I would check out that government mandated rule they are telling you.

BLove said...

They are wrong about the age of government mandated flu shots. I checked into it...

http://www.cdc.gov/media/pressrel/2009/r090729b.htm

Read down and it will tell you the ages. I would print that out and bring it down to the doctors office and demand a flu shot!

Sara said...

Not what I wanted to read :( Sorry you all are having a hard time getting a dang H1N1 flu shot! Seems like Dakin would be one of the first ones USHERED to the front of the line for one...
xoxox~

Diana said...

That is just ridiculous! You would think they would have done a better job at distributing this vaccine so that anyone with high risk would be able to get the vaccine. I was ticked yesterday when I found out the health dept in my area was giving it out to ANYONE. no restrictions. I didn't go because apparently it was a free for all and I figured getting in a crowd like that isn't a good idea. I just can't believe they were giving out hear with no restrictions and you can't get it for Dakin who so clearly needs it!!! I hope you find it somewhere soon!

Dana said...

Call your Pulm. Doctor and tell them the situation. I bet they will find you one. He is HIGH risk. Good luck with it. Cut photos.