Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy 2nd Birthday Dakin!!

Two years ago today, Dakin was born.

The first time I saw his face, it was crumpled with rage at being suddenly pulled from his previous environment. I didn't get to hold him right away, but when I finally did, the moment was magical. Like his grandmother did with me, I counted all his fingers and toes. I felt his tiny soft head and looked into his eyes--surprisingly to me, they were not blue, but an ambiguous brown-grey-green.

Though I didn't know it at the time, I was holding one of the most courageous people I have ever known. I had no idea what we would go through together, and how deep of a bond I would develop with him because of it.

Two years ago today, I learned what love is.

Dakin, your dad and I love you very much--SO much. You are joy, you are light and happiness, you are everything that is good in this world. You are our hero and our life. Thank you for teaching us so much about being brave and loving. We love you!!


I wanted to put better music with this montage, but I just can't get it to work. So turn off the cheesy music, and imagine Harry Connick's 'Heavenly', a wonderful version of 'A Little Help From My Friends' and the best and original 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'.


15 comments:

Junior said...

Beautiful

Happy Birthday Dakin

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday Dakin! Keep shining!

Grandma Debbie said...

Happy Birthday Hugs & kisses from grandpa & grandma

Lucy and Ethel said...

Happy, happy birthday, Dakin!!!

Loved the slide show - what a handsome, HAPPY big guy you are!

Hugs from NC -

Lucy

Sky said...

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, happy Birthday Dakin, Happy Birthday to you!!!!!

Foster mama K said...

Happy birthday sweet boy!!! What a lovely slide show :)

Tara Bennett said...

I didn't know Dakin was a Halloween baby! Happy Birthday! I LOVE the video. He is lucky to have such a talented mommy =)

Heather said...

Happy birthday to your beautiful,beautiful boy!

Sara said...

Happy Birthday Dakin!

Victoria Strong said...

Happy, happy birthday darling Dakin!!! You truly are everything that is good in the world! Your bright eyes and your beaming smile bring joy to our lives. We love you, Gwendolyn, Victoria & Bill

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday!! I am so happy to hear of another family with SMARD. My son Anthony, who is 8 1/2 old, this past July, was just diagnosed with SMARD. I hope to have contact with you via email.

Andrea
aiyamarie420@yahoo.com

Cass said...

What a sweet, handsome boy. Happy Birthday, Dakin!

April said...

HAPPY HAPPY birthday Handsome boy!
I loved the montage!!!

Nora L. said...

Devon...I love you and thanks for making me cry! You, Daddy Dakin and Baby Dakin are my inspiration! It's hard to believe that 2 yrs. have gone by! Where does the time go? Just remember that I'm a phone call and a few miles down the road. We love y'all so very much. Glad to see the B-day photos...he is such a handsome boy isn't he?

Unknown said...

I have a sweet boy with a Halloween birthday, too! HAPPY HAPPY Birthday to Dakin!