Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Face

A few weeks ago, my sweet October 07 mommies were discussing where their children showed the most emotion: eyes, mouth, eyebrows, etc.  I thought and thought about it, and I couldn't figure out where it was with Dakin.

Lately Dakin has been trying his darndest to make mad faces at people.  And every time he does all I can do is laugh...it is all anyone can do, because his face is not set up for an expression like that.  Some children are made to frown or scowl.  I have discovered in the last few days that Dakin is not one of them. His face is joy: his whole visage expresses it.  The mad look or mean look on his face is so alien to him that it is literally laughable.

And I am truly glad about that.  He is happy.  He is inherently, deeply, naturally happy.  There are not a lot of people who can claim that...it is a gift and for it I am grateful.

So I figured out that with Dakin, it is his whole face that expresses his emotion.  And, strangely, I think I have known this all along: from the time he was tiny his nickname has been 'Face'-short for sweet face, silly face, mad face, whatever face he happened to be making at that moment.

2 comments:

liseli said...

I agree, his face is joy :)
Being naturally happy is a great thing.

Dana said...

I was totally going to say his Smile. It does light up his whole face. It makes the day brighter to see a child with that much JOY on his face.

He would make a wonderful CLown:)